Sarah K. Stephens is a developmental psychologist who serves as an Associate Teaching Professor at Penn State University. Her courses examine a variety of topics, including the processes of risk and resilience in childhood, the influence of online media on social and behavioral development, and evidence-based interventions for individuals on the autism spectrum. Although Fall and Spring find her in the classroom, she remains a writer year-round. Her writing has appeared in LitHub, The Writer’s Chronicle, Hazlitt, The Millions, and The Indianola Review. Her debut novel, A Flash of Red (read Chapter 1 here), was released in December 2016 by Pandamoon Publishing.
E-mail: skstephensauthor (at) gmail (dot) com
Sarah enjoys attending Book Clubs and other literary events. E-mail with your inquiries.
- Stephens, S. K. (October/November 2018). An Interview with Inara Verzemnieks. The Writer’s Chronicle. https://www.awpwriter.org/magazine_media/writers_chronicle_issues/octobernovember_2018
- Stephens, S. K. (April 5, 2018). My Father’s Calling. Hazlitt. https://hazlitt.net/longreads/my-fathers-calling
- Stephens, S. K. (Sept. 6, 2017). Getting Out of Her Own Skin: The Millions Interviews Nancy Pearl. The Millions. http://themillions.com/2017/09/getting-out-of-her-own-skin-the-millions-interviews-nancy-pearl.html
- Stephens, S. K. (April 20, 2017). Teacher’s High. Mindsoak Project. http://mindsoak.me/teachers-high/
- Stephens, S. K. (April 17, 2017). What Edith Wharton Taught Me about Marriage.The Millions. http://www.themillions.com/2017/04/edith-wharton-taught-marriage.html
- Stephens, S.K. (March 29, 2017). Flynn Berry’s Under the Harrow Pushes Readers to Examine Their Own Feminist Failings. ROAR. http://roarfeminist.org/2017/03/29/flynn-berrys-under-the-harrow-pushes-readers-to-examine-their-own-feminist-failings/
- Stephens, S. K. (March 22, 2017). Be Deliberate: A Baker’s Approach to Renewal. Mindsoak Project. http://mindsoak.me/deliberate-bakers-approach-renewal/
- Stephens, S. K. (February 28, 2017). How P.D. James and Detective Fiction Healed my Broken Heart. The Millions. http://www.themillions.com/2017/02/p-d-james-detective-fiction-healed-broken-heart.html
- Stephens, S.K. (February 23, 2017). Penn State and the Intrafraternity Council Suspend Social Activities: Why now? ROAR. http://roarfeminist.org/2017/02/23/penn-state-and-the-intrafraternity-council-suspend-social-activities-why-now/
- Stephens, S.K. (February 21, 2017). Love Has No Expiration Date. Mindsoak Project. http://mindsoak.me/love-has-no-expiration-date/
- Stephens, S.K. (January 24, 2017). Change is Good, but Perseverance is Better. Mindsoak Project. http://mindsoak.me/change-is-good-perseverance-is-better/
- Stephens, S.K. (January 6, 2017). NBCC Reads Resistance Lit: Sarah K. Stephens on Lois Lowry’s Number the Stars. Critical Mass. http://bookcritics.org/blog/archive/nbcc-reads-resistance-lit-sarah-k.-stephens-on-lois-lowrys-number-the-stars
- Stephens, S.K. (January 6, 2017). NBCC Reads Resistance Lit: Sarah K. Stephens on Lois Lowry’s Number the Stars. LitHub. http://lithub.com/resistance-lit-sarah-k-stephens-on-lois-lowrys-number-the-stars/
- Stephens, S.K. (November 22, 2016). How Mr. (Carl) Rogers Can Help You Survive the Holidays. Mindsoak Project. http://mindsoak.me/how-mr-carl-rogers-can-help-you-survive-the-holidays/
- Stephens, S.K. (November 16, 2016). The Importance of Counseling on Campus. Mindsoak Project. http://mindsoak.me/the-importance-of-counseling-on-campus/
- Kollat, S.H. (November 3, 2016). Beautiful Secret by Dana Faletti. BookMark by WPSU. http://radio.wpsu.org/post/bookmark-beautiful-secret-dana-faletti
- Stephens, S.K. (October 26, 2016). Why Are We Told There’s One ‘Right’ Kind of Girl? Mindsoak Project. http://mindsoak.me/why-are-we-told-theres-one-right-kind-of-girl/
- Stephens, S.K. (October 19, 2016). Brave New World: Parental Monitoring in the Age of Social Media. Mindsoak Project. http://mindsoak.me/brave-new-world-parental-monitoring-in-the-age-of-social-media/
- Stephens, S.K. (Sept. 27, 2016). A Case for Boredom. Mindsoak Project. http://mindsoak.me/a-case-for-boredom/
- Stephens, S.K. (Sept. 13, 2016). The New F Word. Mindsoak Project. http://mindsoak.me/the-new-f-word/
- Stephens, S.K. (Aug. 23, 2016). “Girl” Gone Wild. Mindsoak Project. http://mindsoak.me/girl-gone-wild/
- Stephens, S.K. (Aug. 9, 2016). The #1 Parenting Mistake We All Make (But Don’t Have To)! Mindsoak Project. http://mindsoak.me/the-1-parenting-mistake-we-all-make-but-dont-have-to/
- Stephens, S.K. (2016). A flash of red. Austin, TX: Pandamoon Publishing.
- Stephens, S.K. (November 2016). Sensate. (parenthetical). http://www.wordsonpagespress.com/parenthetical/sixteen/
- Stephens, S.K. (September 2016). Inheritance. The Indianola Review: http://www.theindianolareview.com/inheritance.html
- Stephens, S.K. (July 2016). In celebration. eFiction. Vol. 7 (# 4), pp. 16–24.
- Stephens, S.K. (June 2016). Inheritance. Manawaker Studio’s Flash Fiction Podcast (Ep. 127): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLOlDPckX0c
- Stephens, S.K. (June 2016). Sensate. Manawaker Studio’s Flash Fiction Podcast (Ep. 121):http://www.manawaker.com/podcast/ffp-0121-sensate/
- Stephens, S.K. (April 2016). In Concert. The Voices Project: http://www.thevoicesproject.org/poetry-library/in-concert-by-sarah-k-stephens
- Stephen, S.K. (March 2016). Boys. Five on the Fifth: http://www.fiveonthefifth.com/issue-6-boys-by-sarah-k-stephens/